December 25th, 2014
Recycling Your Christmas Tree!
There are several ways that you can recycle your Christmas tree in Greater Vancouver. Here are some alternatives. For more alternatives call the BC Recycling Hotline at 604-732-9253.
Residential Collection (Surrey, Delta, or Langley)
Surrey residents that receive yard trimmings collection may put their tree out before 7 AM on their regular yard trimming collection day until January 31st. Residents are asked to cut the tree into branches and bundle the branches together for ease of pickup. For more information contact the City of Surrey Garbage and Recycling line at 604-590-7289.
Delta residents can put your Christmas tree out with your yard waste but regular restrictions apply. Bundles must be no more than 1 meter by 60 cm.
Langley (City or Township) residents can put your Christmas tree out with your yard waste but regular restrictions apply. Bundles must be no more than 1 meter by 60 cm and weigh no more than 34 kg (75 lbs).
Transfer Station (Surrey, Delta, or Langley)
Surrey residents are welcome to drop off their tree at the transfer station at 9770 – 192nd Street, Surrey. The Transfer Station is open from 8 AM until 5 PM Monday to Friday and 8 AM to 6 PM Saturday and Sunday. For more information call the Transfer Station at 604-513-2409.
Delta residents are welcome to drop off their trees at the Vancouver Landfill for Composting. The composting facility is located at 5400 – 72nd Street in Delta.
Langley residents are welcome to drop off their trees for a fee at the transfer station located at 1070 – 272 Street, Langley. The transfer station is open Monday to Saturday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Many local Charities host chipping events by donation. Here are a few:
Surrey firefighters will be on hand to assist with the chipping of Christmas trees at the Newton Athletic Park (128th Street and 74th Avenue).
- Christmas Tree Chipping & Bottle Drive on Sunday, Jan. 4, 1 to 4 p.m., at Emmanuel Covenant Church, 17029 16th Ave., Surrey. Info: Emmanuelcovenant.ca.
- Enver Creek Secondary Dry Grad 2015 fundraiser (Christmas tree chipping by donation, clothing drive and bottle drive), Saturday, Jan. 3 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at school,14505 84 Ave., Surrey.
- Tree Chipping hosted by Rotary Club of Surrey Guildford on Jan. 3 and Jan. 4, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily at North Surrey Secondary School, 15945 96th Ave., Surrey. “We will also be accepting small electronic devices for recycling. All by donation. Info: Rotarysurrey.ca, 778-808-5232.
- Knights of Columbus’ annual Christmas Tree Chipping (by donation) on Jan. 3 (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) and Jan. 4 (noon to 4 p.m.) at St. Matthew’s Parish parking lot, 16079 88th Ave., Surrey. “Fundraising with proceeds to local charities.” Info: Call Doug Thomas, 604-218-2722.
- Surrey Firefighters’ Annual Tree Chip (by donation) on Saturday, Jan. 3 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Newton Athletic Park (128th Street and 74th Avenue). “Drop by and Chip your Tree Here” or visit Surreyfirefighters.com/charitablesociety/campaigns/treechip/
The Lions Club host chipping events at the following locations:
- Sungod Arena at 7825 – 112 Street, Surrey
- Tsawwassen South Delta Recreation Centre 1720 – 56th Street (Date Unknown)
Residential Collection (Vancouver)
Households that receive yard trimmings collection may put their tree out before 7 AM on their regular yard trimming collection day until January 31st. For more information contact the City of Vancouver Recycling Hotline at 604-326-4600 OR email@example.com.
Vancouver South Transfer Station
Any city of Vancouver resident is welcome to drop off their undecorated tree at the transfer station until January 31st at the Vancouver South Transfer Station (377 West Kent Avenue North) and the Vancouver Landfill (5400 – 72nd Street, Delta)
Lions Club Chipping Event (Vancouver)
The Lions Club of BC hosts Chipping Events at several locations. Donations of Cash and non-perishable food items will be distributed to local charities. Chipping events will take place at the following locations:
- Kits Beach Parking Lot (Cornwall and Arbutus)
- Kerrisdale Ice Rink (East Boulevard North of 41st)
- Sunset Beach Upper Parking Lot (Pacific Boulevard and Broughton Street)
- Rona Home and Garden Grandview Store at 2727 East 12th Avenue
Contact the Lions Club for more information:
(www.vancouverlions.com OR www.vancouversouthlions.com)
UBC Christmas Tree Chipper Event (Vancouver)
“Chip In” by recycling your Christmas tree at the UBC Botanical Gardens. Your tree will be chipped into bark mulch for the pathways. For self service you can drop your tree off anytime between December 26th and January 8th, between 9 AM and 4:30 PM.
Drop trees at the UBC Botanical Garden parking lot, at 6804 South West Marine Dr. Please remove all lights, decorations, tinsel, stands, or other items. No yard trimmings please, just Christmas trees. UBC Plant Operations and UBC Botanical Garden proudly sponsor this sustainability initiative. Donations are gratefully appreciated. Visit www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org or call 604-822-4208 for more information.